Sunday, July 27, 2008



Tiffany and I went to see "The Dark Knight" last knight (ha!). Joel & Mike had done their best to feign dislike in order to lower our expectations (which told me that the movie had not lived up to their expectations.)

I've been thinking about the movie ever since we finished. My initial reaction was that the movie was well done, but a little too dark for my tastes. I've pondered about what it was that bothered me so much. The conclusion I came to is that I've noticed that one of the things that bothers me most in life is a lack of justice; and for 99% of the movie, it appears that good cannot triumph over evil. There is a feeling of helplessness and hopelessness. I told Joel I had no real desire to see it again.

Then I decided to read the article I jokingly forwarded to Joel & Mike with the caption "Let's put it in terms you can understand..." (that I hadn't yet read because I didn't want any spoilers.) Here's the article:

WSJ Article
Rush's Comments on the Article (especially the last 9-10 paragraphs)

I finished the article and Rush's comments, and I decided that I did like the movie, and I would actually like to see it again. In my mind, it is a perfect metaphor. And in real life, justice will come. And as Elder Featherstone profoundly states in my favorite talk on the subject: "Justice is mercy."

Go see The Dark Knight.

1 comment:

Joel said...

I'm glad you finally came around.

Let's go see it together for the second time!